Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:28:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Henrik Holmstam <turbo@lamering.org>, Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>, "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>, "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
>
> > I suppose another big reason that I started using ipfilter is it's
> > performance... for me and for what we do through our FreeBSD router
> > (with gaming through the nat) ipfw + natd just wasn't cutting it.
>
> 	I don't buy that...let's see some numbers people...

No numbers from me. I've never done a performance compare between the two.
Wouldn't mind seeing it though.

> 	Since everyone is giving their opinions, I might as well share
> 	mine as well.  Even though, this conversation does not belong on
> 	-stable.  Hell, it doesn't even belong on -questions.  More like
> 	-chat or something.  But anyway I'm a big IPFW fan because :
>
> 	1) it is simple and straightforward.  IPFILTER has ipf, ipfstat,
> 	ipmon, ipnat...what a head-ache.  IPFW has ipfw...

ipf and ipfstat shows more info than ipfw alone. ipmon is a whole 'nother
program, doesn't really fit into the comparison. Like adding in ngrep or
something. And ipnat controls nat, what natd does for ipfw. So the
only "complexity" is ipfstat which gives stat info. Big whup.

> 	2) IPFW can bring packets out of the Kernel into userland via
> 	divert...this can be a very powerful interface that only a few
> 	things use that I know of, one of them being natd.  Of course,
> 	this could be dangerous too.

No comment on this one. Powerful yes, dangerous possibly. Performance hit?

> 	3) It comes as a kernel module.  I'm tired of building a kernel on
> 	every machine to enable IPFILTER.

IPF is available as a kernel module. /modules/ipl.ko.
Need to load it on a GENERIC system? kldload ipl.ko.

> 	4) Bandwidth control

ipf is lacking in this respect. I would rather see AltQ or some other
standard thing (doesn't KAME use AltQ? Isn't that part of FreeBSD base
now?) though, than something more to bloat ipf code.

> 	5) Bridging firewalls

Being worked on. As someone else have pointed out, ipf has supported
bridging on other systems for a long time, it's just been lacking proper
support in FreeBSD.

Not trying to flame, but thought I'd toss in my two cents. The point is
that it's great to have a choice, and you use the firewall with the
feature set that best fit your needs. Or both if you prefer the
combination.