Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS support for EFI

On Mar 30, 2015, at 15:57, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net> wrote:
>=20
> On 03/30/2015 12:28 AM, Rui Paulo wrote:
>=20
>>> First, I've converted boot1.c (the EFI boot block) to use an FS =
module
>>> framework.  This facilitates the addition of ZFS, and should also =
come
>>> in handy if someone wants to add other functionality later (ie. =
crypto,
>>> netboot, etc.)
>>=20
>> Good. :-)
>=20
> Actually, would that be a good patch in its own right?  I could
> certainly strip out the ZFS-related stuff for folks with UFS+EFI =
systems
> to test.  (I only have ZFS drives myself)

This might actually be useful to split UFS1 and UFS2.  Adding Warner.

>> I have a crazy idea: why not use getopt() in loader.efi ?  getopt() =
is already part of libstand, so it should be easy to use it.
>>=20
>> Alternatively you can just use key value pairs.
>>=20
>=20
> I did a little more lookung.  Turns out, I had it wrong.  The old ZFS
> loader loads and parses /boot/config, not /boot/loader.conf.
>=20
> It appears that the existing EFI loader is ignoring /boot/config.  Is
> that intentional, or just missing functionality?  (It would probably
> make more sense to stash /boot/config or its analog on the ESP =
anyway.)

That's just a mistake in the EFI loader.  /boot/config is the same thing =
as /boot.config and both are missing from EFI.  I don't quite understand =
how this is related to the previous problem.

--
Rui Paulo