Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2012 13:09:02 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 03.06.12 07:24, Erich wrote:

> isn't this what I just suggested to be done by the team? Give the ports tree a new version number and people can fall back to this then.
>
> Isn't this solution too simple to be done?

As was mentioned earlier in this discussion, by virtue of the ports tree
being hosted on CVS, you are able to get a version of the ports there at
any date you chose. Just set

PORTS_DATE="date=2012.06.01.00.00.00"

to get the ports tree as it was on midnight 1st of June 2012. You can
specify hours, minutes, seconds if you need. Way more powerful than any
"version number" thing.

As you can see, this is already available with FreeBSD. A lot more
"hidden gems" are available with FreeBSD. People are just lazy and for
the most part, refuse to learn. This is one aspect FreeBSD could benefit
greatly from more education of the 'users' -- just because it has way
more hidden gems than anything else around.

Daniel