Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:37:31 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@nospammail.net>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error messages from portsdb -Uu

in message <3.0.6.32.20020802155314.00810200@stjohn.stjohn.ac.th>,
wrote Roger Merritt thusly...

> At 08:11 PM 8/2/02 +1200, you wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:50:55PM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >> mpt-0.0:"/usr/ports/math/fftw" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
> >> mq3-8_1:"/usr/ports/math/fftw" non-existent -- dependency list incomplete
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> I cvsup the ports regularly, by the way, so I would think my ports tree is
> >> complete. What do these error messages mean, and is there anything I can do
> >> to stop them?
> >
> >Just means that the INDEX file hasn't been update properly. Don't
> >worry about it. It doesn't affect your ports.

as i understand it, some directories are physically missing or
"SUBDIR" (in some make file) has non-existent directory(ies).

this message comes up for me due to directories missing for most of
kde, gnome, & emacs ports as i have them listed in cvsup refuse
file & removed from ports tree.

i haven't seen/experienced INDEX so broken to be useless (since
portsdb -u works after "make index"); it's just that some of the
ports will not build due to missing dependencies ...  which is
deliberate.

> Isn't there some way to stop them?

you could redirect (code shown for sh-like shells) the errors to
/dev/null or a file...

  cd /usr/ports  &&  make index > .errors 2>&1  &&  portsdb -u

...but then you may miss more crucial error messages (different than
above) which actually fubar INDEX & can hamper niceties like
"make search" & usage of portsupgrade itself.

> I've seen lots of people praising portupgrade to the skies. Do
> they all have to put up with this garbage spewing across their
> screen when they do this?

problem is not w/ portsupgrade; see above.

  - parv