Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 13:21:49 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

On Tue, Dec 23, 1997 at 08:05:53PM -0600, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

>> Heh, I'll bet you $10 right now that I can send you an Audio CD
>> (transcribed from DAT) which you will *not* be able to duplicate
>> with your Solaris box. :-)
>
> Wait, I've got a buddy that's been trying to figure out how to read
> an audio DAT tape and write it to a CD audio track.  Is there a
> known solution???

With enough effort, there's always a solution.

> I know he'd be *very* interested if there was, as he's been trying
> to figure it out for a few months (on and off).

There's a lot more involved than just copying.  IIRC, CDs record at
41.4 ksamples/second, and DATs record at 44 or 48 ksamples/second, so
you'd effectively have to remaster.  I suppose straight interpolation
would work, but it's still a lot of processing.

Greg