Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:06:10 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Permission denied

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Frank Seltzer wrote:

> I have just setup a small (2 machine) home network. I can ping from one
> machine to the other fine, but when I try to ftp or telnet from one to the
> other I get:
>
> 	Unable to connect to remote host: Permission denied
Have you by any chance enable IP firewalling on the machines??? If you
did, it will default to blocking any traffic (I don't know about ICMP
traffic though, it seems a bit odd it doesn't block your pings too, but
I'm not sure if that's blocked by default).

> I have searched the mail archives and the handbook in vain for a solution.
> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> BTW, once I get this straightened out I plan to connect my wife's Win95
> machine to the net. Is there a doc somewhere that will lead me through
> this?
I don't know of any docs, but configuring IP networking on Win95 is
really easy. I guess Win95 might have some docs, but I never used them.
Just open the Network control panel applet, and then choose Add and
Protocol, then select Microsoft and TCP/IP. After that, select the TCP/IP
protocol and click on properties to get to its setup dialog boxes. It's
as easy as it can be.

> Thanks,
> Frank
> --
> Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
> draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous

Nadav