Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 05:09:27 +0200
From:      Gerald Heinig <heinig@hdz-ima.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        danny@alpha.net.au
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Subject:   Re: OSI layering Query.. Please Help ME

Danny Ho wrote:

> Hi everyone I am sort  of new( 1 year experience in this ISP job)
>
> Anyway, I have one query about OSI layering.
>
> What are some of the advantages of OSI layer as seen in the OSI model??

Advantages? Hmmm. I suppose perhaps somewhat finer granularity than the
IP model. It also defines layers above 4 (transport layer) which AFAIK
IP doesn't. It's perhaps somewhat more complete. I certainly make no
claims to any great expertise on the subject. Comments, anyone?

> And what exactly are PDU?

Protocol Data Units. The information packages/packets that get sent
up/down the protocol stacks during protocol operation/data
transmission/reception. For example, a TPDU (transport protocol data
unit) contains the TSAP address (transport service access point address
- corresponds loosely to the "port number" in IP) and the "payload" ie.
data you're trying to transmit. This gets sent down (if you're
transmitting) to the NSAP (network service access point - equivalent to
a network interface in IP) which adds its NSAP address (which
corresponds to the IP address in IP). This then gets sent down to the
link layer (layer 2) to the LSAP (link layer service access point, ie.
the network card) which adds its LSAP address (ie. MAC/hardware/ethernet
address) plus header/trailer/FCS (frame check sequence) and sends the
caboodle off onto the wire.

> What exactly is SAP??

Service Access Point. The place where you can access a service. A
telephone socket is the SAP for a connection-oriented voice data
transfer service. IP mail exchange has an (IP) transport service access
point address of 25 ie.it uses IP port 25 for mail exchange. Your
machine's network interface would be the NSAP, the interface's IP
address would correspond to its NSAP address. Note: *CORRESPOND*!!!
There is such a thing as an NSAP address and it is *NOT* the same as an
IP address!!! we're talking analogies here!

> I am really confused help me.

I hope the above is correct. It's certainly what I was taught, and what
it says in the book about networking by Fred Halsall "Data
Communications, computer networks and OSI". I believe there's a second
edition out (I've got the first one, and it's somewhat dated...).

I admit freely that I'm a bit shaky on the subject: the book gives no
concrete examples and is pretty abstract for the most part.
Corrections/amendments are *most* appreciated!!

Anyway, if it's right (I'm fairly sure it is!), I hope that helps

Cheers,

Gerald

--
"Would you like to buy an encyclopaedia to help your child get to
college?"