Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tweten@frihet.com
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, pst@stupi.se, rgrimes@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-foreign-secure@grondar.za
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

> Rodney W. Grimes writes:
> > As already pointed out no less than 2 times, DES is a munition, importing
> > munitions is just as regulated as exporting them.  Makeing freefall's cvs/
> > secure bits a slave to the ZA site is just as much a problem as exporting
> > the bits from freefall :-(.
>
> That's an interesting assertion.  This is the first time I've ever seen the
> assertion that importing "munitions" is at all restricted in the U.S.  The
> long-standing general assumption on the alt.security.pgp news group is that
> importation of "munitions" (such as PGP) into the U.S. is not controled.

PGP is a one way hash function, it is not encryption software, thus it
does not fall on the munitions lists, thus it is not restricted.

DES is encryption software, it is on the munitions lists, munitions export
AND import is regulated by the US federal government, both the State
Department, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearmgs (ATF) have
regulations controlling imports to the US of any and all ``munitions''.

> Do you have any references to back up the assertion?

Various import and export paper work from UPS, Federal Express, and DLH
all state that ``firearms'' and or ``munitions'' are regulated for import
and export and require special paper work.  Generally this reads:

``We accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient
is a lincensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed
collector who is not prohibited from such shipments by federal, state or
local regulations.''

I do not have a direct reference to the State Department munitions list,
or the applicable ATF regulations, but I do assure you they exists, and
they are inforced (reference, Austin Code Works was indited in 1994 by
the US State Department for shipping DES software out of the US on CDROM).