Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:40:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: set up printing

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Aaron Parmelee wrote:

>  my etc/printcap file looks like this:
>   lp|local line printer:\
>   :sh\
>   :lp = /dev/lpt1: sd=/var/spool/output/lpd: If/var/log/lpd -errs:

Well, I see a few things wrong there:

1) You're missing a colon after the "sh" line (before the backslash).

2) On the next line, I don't think you can have spaces (but I'm not sure).

3) If your printer is connected to what DOS or Windows would see as LPT1,
then the lp entry should be /dev/lpt0, not /dev/lpt1.  FreeBSD starts
numbering ports from 0, so lpt0 = LPT1, lpt1 = LPT2, etc.

4) The most important one:  the "if" field should contain the command for
a filter, if any, not the line printer daemon (lpd) itself.  Incidentally,
you also are missing an "equals" sign between "if" and "/var/log".  But
even that notwithstanding, you don't want to call lpd from printcap.  lpd
must already be running.  In turn, this "master" lpd launches a new lpd
for each print job, which then terminates when the job is finished.
However, a master copy must be running.  For now, you should just delete
the "if" field in your printcap.  Then, to get your master copy going now,
just type "lpd" at the prompt (as root, of course).  Then, to get it to be
running when you boot your machine up, find this line in your /etc/rc.conf
file:

lpd_enable=""

Or it may read:

lpd_enable="NO"

In either case, change it to read:

lpd_enable="YES"

> when i type lpq:
>
>  warning no printer daemon present (bad news, i think)

Yes, bad news -- as I said above, it's because your lpd isn't running.

>  1st  root0 (standard input) 13308 bytes

Yup, that's the print job sitting in your queue.  You should probably
delete it before running lpd -- to do so, just type "lprm -" to clear out
the queue.

Once you have lpd running, then try printing something using the command
"lpr filename", using a simple file like your .login -- "lpr .login".

> say, how do you rename your computer? i'm tired of seeing "myname" everywhere.

You mean change the hostname?  That's in /etc/rc.conf as well, on a line
that starts with "hostname=".  Fill in the appropriate value there.

Good luck!