Date:      02 Sep 2001 23:20:49 -0500
From:      Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Amount of swap space?

I'm very new to FreeBSD, so if some of my terminology is not correct, please
forgive me.  I'm coming from a Linux world.  Anywho, I just tried installing
4.3 on my box, but I had a bit of a problem that I couldn't find answered in
the Handbook.  I know that the amount of swap space is supposed to be 2-3x
the amount of RAM you have, but is this fixed?  I have 512MB on my box, and
in creating a 2GB paritition to install FreeBSD to to try out, it took half
of it for swap!  I tried deleting the swap space and putting in a new one,
but then when I tried to put in other partitions (slices?) such as to mount a
seperate /usr/home or to just enlarge /usr (by deleting and recreating
larger) I keep getting the message that there's not enough room to add the
new one.  Does anyone know what is happening with this?  I'd greatly
appreciate the help, especially seeing as how I'd prefer to have a bit more
storage space rather than a total of 1.5GB of swap/RAM.

Thanks,
Jeremy