Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:27:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Adam=20Nealis?= <adamnealis@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Joseph Gleason <clash@zogbe.tasam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using ipfw pipes for bandwidth management - can it allow for "bursting"?

 --- Joseph Gleason <clash@tasam.com> wrote:
> I didn't say the dummynet man page has all answers, but it is somewhere to
> look.
>
> The only thing I can find is this from the ipfw page:

Yep. I got that far. But on reading this there is no explanation
of what the numbers mean, or rather, their context.

>      red | gred w_q/min_th/max_th/max_p
>              Make use of the RED queue management algorithm.  w_q and max_p
>              are floating point numbers between 0 and 1 (0 not included),

OK, so now I know that 0 < w_q, max_p <= 1.0

>              while min_th and max_th are integer numbers specifying
> thresholds
>              for queue management (thresholds are computed in bytes if the
>              queue has been defined in bytes, in slots otherwise).  The
>              dummynet(4) also supports the gentle RED variant (gred).  Three
>              sysctl(8) variables can be used to control the RED behaviour:
>
>              net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_lookup_depth
>                      specifies the accuracy in computing the average queue
>                      when the link is idle (defaults to 256, must be greater
>                      than zero)

So this number must be >0, but what is tha maximum range, what
does varying this mnumber affect? Same question applies to the
next two sysctl parameters.

>              net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_avg_pkt_size
>                      specifies the expected average packet size (defaults to
>                      512, must be greater than zero)
>
>              net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_max_pkt_size
>                      specifies the expected maximum packet size, only used
>                      when queue thresholds are in bytes (defaults to 1500,
>                      must be greater than zero).

I suppose what I must do is to find papers describing RED and GRED,
digest them and map the information onto the man pages.

So I'll look at http://www.acm.org/crossroads/columns/connector/july2001.html
as suggested by Aaron. I did come across some technical discussions
of RED/GRED, but digesting that sort of information can take days
so I thought I'd ask here first to see if it was a valid line of
research.

My reason for posting in the first place was to see if anyone had
actually done any work with ipfw pipes (or dummynet directly), in
order to allow for b/w management with bursting.

By bursting I suppose I mean something like for a connection with
nominal aggregate bandwidth X bit/s, make available additional
bandwidth of either X * Y bit/s, or X + Y bit/s for a time Tb seconds.

From what I gather this has not been done using ipfw. Is this because
it can't in principle, because it hasn't been done yet, because there
is somthing else to use, or because anyone who has done this didn't
read the post (or read it and didn't respond)? ;)

Cheers,
Adam Nealis.