Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:40:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>
Cc:        Michael DeMutis <mike@2Gen.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deny based on IP - TCP Wrapper

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:17:44 CST, Brad Guillory wrote:

> You should look in man under hosts_options(5) and the files
> /etc/hosts.allow.
>
> The /etc/hosts.deny file is no longer used so if someone point you there
> just ignore them ;-).

Are you sure it's not used?  Are you just saying that because of the
comment you read in /etc/hosts.allow or have you checked that hosts.deny
isn't read?

The last time I checked, hosts_access(3) _did_ use rules from
/etc/hosts.deny.  This leads me to suspect that the comment in
/etc/hosts.allow is just a usage convention.

Ciao,
Sheldon.