Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 11:12:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG (Greg 'groggy' Lehey)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), neuhauser@bellavista.cz (Roman Neuhauser), Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com (Peter Leftwich), m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk (Matthew Seaman), jeff@unixconsults.com (Jeff Jirsa), syborg@stny.rr.com (John Bleichert), FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD LIST)
Subject:   Re: Links (was: Is simplicity despised? WAS:

> >>     No, less is not hardlinked to more, nor is more hardlinked to less.
> >>     They're two names for the same file.
> >>
> >>     So... Yes, you're right: less is really more. But at the same time,
> >>     more is less.
> >
> > Yup.  But was that file created as less or more
>
> Why should you care?

I care if I want to know how to change what the file is.
Do I rebuild more or less in this case?   Probably less interesting
for such basic omnipresent system or shell stuff than for stuff I am
making myself and trying to keep track of.

> > and if I want to make a change do I start with the source for less
> > or more, etc?
>
> It's the same source.

No, there is a source for more and a source for less -- somewhere.

> > Minor maybe, but ln -s makes it clear and is not so onerrous in
> > most situations.

By onerous, I mean the extra resource and possible problems are not
so onerous a penalty for most use.  If the use if heavy then possibly
the extra CPU and disk resource may mean something and a hard link
is then needed.

> No, symlinks impose an order, and they don't clarify, they obfuscate.
> If you do this, you'll end up with a broken symlink:
>
>   $ echo foo > bar
>   $ ln -s bar baz
>   $ rm bar
>   $ cat baz
>   cat: baz: No such file or directory
>   $
>
> On the other hand, links are *the* basic mechanism for naming files.
> If you do this, it will work:
>
>   $ echo foo > bar
>   $ ln bar baz
>   $ rm bar
>   $ cat baz
>   foo

Sure.   and if I do:

    # echo joes stuff > ./home/joe.stuff
    # echo freds stuff > ./home/fred.stuff
    # ln joe ./home/jor.stuff
    # ln fred ./home/joe.stuff
    # rm joe
    # cat fred
      joes stuff
"Oh Oh better fix that"
    # vi fred
      c$freds stuff ESC:wq
    # cat ./home/joe.stuff
      freds stuff

A user error less likely to happen with a symlink since they show
up so obviously in an ls -l.

Hard links have their place.   But, symlinks needn't be so quickly
dismissed.

////jerry