Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:47:24 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing T/TCP and replacing it with something simpler

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <4177C8AD.6060706@freebsd.org>, Andre Oppermann writes:
> >I want to bring this up for discussion prior to start working on it.
> >
> >I intend to remove T/TCP (transactional TCP) support from our TCP
> >implementation for the following reasons:
>
> Yeah, go for it!
>
> >However something like T/TCP is certainly useful and I know of one special
> >purpose application using it (Web Proxy Server/Client for high-delay Satellite
> >connections).
>
> Wouldn't that be inferior to what accept-filters gives us ?

No, not at all.  In fact they are complementary and work beautifully
together.

T/TCP and the replacement are about cutting the extra round-trip times for
the three-way handshake of TCP.  accept_filter is sort of a buffer that
defers readablility to userland until a full request has been received
(a HTTP/1.1 request for example).

--
Andre