Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:49:37 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Manager says   F1 ?? for WINNT

In the last episode (Jun 29), Thomas Dean said:
> I installed -current on a notebook with WINNT on the disk.  The
> notebook has the ide disk limitation.  So, I chopped the disk do get
> around it.  Maybe I should buy a new notebook, but, this one works.
>
> Everything worked OK, except the boot manager.  I get:
>
>   F1 ??
>   F2 FreeBSD
>   F3 ??
>   F4 FreeBSD
>
> Pressing F1 boots WINNT, F2 boots FreeBSD. The other partitions are
> not bootable.
>
> How do I get something other than ?? for F1 and lose F3 and F4?

Part of the problem is the bootblock has to fit in 512 bytes, so
there's no room for all possible partition types.  At the moment, there
are 8 whole bytes free :), so you should be able to fit an "NT" type in
there.  It would take two bytes to map the NT partition type to the
"DOS" string, and two+stringlen to map it to another string.  Source is
in /sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.s

As for removing slices from the menu, man boot0cfg.  The -m option lets
you mask out any or all of the partitions.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com