Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 15:07:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   tun0 problem in 3.0-970209-SNAP

Not sure if this is a problem and whether is persists in newer versions.

Anyway, it's fairly simple:

here's a snip from ifconfig
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1524
        inet 194.222.196.174 --> 158.152.1.222 netmask 0xffffff00

Now, I can ping the other end of this line at the moment.
(I'm running ppp -alias -auto <myprovider>)

So, I type ifconfig tun0 down, and I can _STILL_ ping the other end of
the line ? really that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Either I'm missing something or this is really odd.

Secondly, this machine does name lookups even on local emails, I haven't
got the faintest idea where to try and stop this, as I don't want to have
to hack sendmail.cf

The best hack option so far seems to be to set a dfilter for ppp so that
it won't dial out unless a machine other than the one with the modem is
trying to initialise the connection.

I thought I needed these lines in my config file..

set dfilter 0 deny 194.222.196.174
set dfilter 2000 permit 0/0 0/0

For some reason this doesn't work, I'm not sure why.

This ia basically for an intranet router, which can handle internal and
external mail, but I don't want the connection coming up because person A
sends person B mail internally on the machine.... using PoP though, but
that shouldn't make much difference, even typing this sets of my modem :

root@visnet01# mail root
Subject: hello
test
.
EOT
<---- modem makes connection now ---->
root@visnet01#

I don't want to have to run a DNS here to set this machine as it's mail
exchanger, and this machine shouldn't need a mail exchanger for local
stuff anyway.

I just don't get it anymore =(

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.