Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:09:56 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Firewalling NFS

Hi Alfred,

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:40:05PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> [070615 01:07] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It appears nearly impossible to firewall a NFS server on FreeBSD.
>
> I would be nearly impossible if one didn't know much about NFS.

It is surely my case.

> Care to rephrase your assertion?

The new assertion is then:
I don't know how to firewall my NFS server which is running FreeBSD 6.2.

> > The reason is that NFS related daemons use RPC, which means they
> > don't bind to a deterministic port.  Only mountd(8) can be requested to
> > bind to a specific port or fail with the -p command-line switch.
> > Is there any reason other than "no one has needed this yet" why this
> > option is not available for nfsd(8), rpc.lockd(8) and rpc.statd(8)?
>
> this is wrong, wrong and more wrong.

Sorry, I checked RELENG_6.  I've been told that rpc.lockd(8) and
rpc.statd(8) now have the "-p" option in -CURRENT.  It seems that
nfsd(8)'s port number is assigned in recorded in services(5).
Therefore my question will be totally pointless once rpc.lockd(8)
and rpc.statd(8) "-p" option will be MFC'd to RELENG_6.

Sorry for the noise guys.  Thank you for your replies though.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen