Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:42:14 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lost or damaged libc.so

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 01:04:35PM +0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> FWIW, I'm a little amazed at the paranoia about dynamic linking.  I have
> *never* *ever* "lost" or damaged ld.so except through stupidity (made a
> mistake with a source change and caused an undefined symbol).  I have never
> lost or damaged libc.so except through stupidity (again, generally through
> normal development accidents with undefined symbols).

I can provide a counterexample to this.  I had a disk on a NeXT
develop a bad spot in it's shared C library.  Really frustrating,
because the programs which you would use to do a restore from backup
were all dynamically linked.  Booting from the CD on the NeXT
doesn't work like you'd hope, because the read-only applies to all
mounts below it also (sigh).

On the other hand, it would be easier to recover from this problem
on a FreeBSD system than it was on the NeXT (it's easier to run from
the CD).

Kenneth