Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2014 13:20:57 -0700
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserinae.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Securing baseboard managers

> On Apr 5, 2014, at 8:00 AM, Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserinae.net=
> wrote:
>=20
> First, a quick story.=20
>=20
> A new motherboard I just bought has one of those out of band management=20=

> Ethernet ports. When I connected it into my cable router, despite the=20
> cord being plugged into the non-baseboard Ethernet port, the baseboard=20
> grabbed my public IP (I use this box as a router) instead of FreeBSD.=20
>=20
> So. I exposed the baseboard's janky operating system running god knows=20
> what ancient version of Linux to the internet, and momentarily gave all=20=

> comers (the credentials were, of course, admin/admin) the power to=20
> remotely reboot my computer. Yikes.=20
>=20
> The stakes here were low: I was at home, and there's really nothing all=20=

> that valuable on my network. But at the end of the day, these baseboard
> controllers are running unmanaged, unaudited code on our networks, and=20
> that scares me.=20
>=20
> So...my questions:=20
>=20
> 1/ How do you protect yourself against this kind of vulnerability? Am I
> paranoid for even thinking this is a problem?=20
>=20
> 2/ While out of band management is useful, I just can't bring myself to=20=

> trust software that seems to have been written by poo-flinging monkeys
> (seriously, you need to see the browser-based UI they provide: frames!
> <blink>! Java applets!). Is there any way to replace the vendor provided=20=

> solution with something more auditable and configurable? Maybe a teeny-tin=
y=20
> BSD-based distribution?=20
>=20
> I spend my days doing application development, so I am probably missing=20=

> a lot of perspective that more systems-oriented people have. If my=20
> questions are ridiculous, feel free to tell me so and send me on my way!
>=20
> Thanks in advance,=20
> Kamil

There is likely a setting in the mainboard's BIOS which makes the baseboard'=
s NIC fail-over to sharing a mainboard port only when the baseboard's dedica=
ted port lacks a link (default). Shared-always and dedicated-only are option=
s. At any rate, the baseboard has it's own MAC address. Most baseboards can b=
e configured with a VLAN tag as well.

The default setting can be problematic when that port is hooked up to the WA=
N because the baseboard is in almost every case initialized first and might e=
ven be set to poll DHCP.=