Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 02:32:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, tlambert@primenet.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux to be deployed in Mexican schools; Where was FreeBSD?

Wes Peters said:
> "John S. Dyson" wrote:
> >
> > Terry Lambert said:
> > >
> > > o     FreeBSD is still third-party layered software unfriendly
> > >       (some would call it antagonistic).  There is no real
> > >       method in FreeBSD for installing software that is supposed
> > >       to start at system startup and shutdown gracefully at
> > >       system shutdown.
> > >
> > >       Fix: Change the FreeBSD "init" process.  This is political
> > >       suicide, but technological necessity.
> > >
> > No question about that.  SYSV init or something close to that
> > is necessary.
>
> It shouldn't be all that difficult; have the arguments in that past
> been "it's just not BSD-ish?"

I believe that you are right.  Anyone (IMO) who has really used a
SYSV style init (and understands it), will find that it is a valuable
tool.  Expecting it to solve *all* problems is probably a little too
demanding.  However, IMO, it is a good tool that could help manage
system startup and package startup/shutdown, etc.  As any valuable
tool, SYSV init can cause problems -- but then if it hurts (SYSV init
does something evil), then don't make it do the evil thing!!! :-).

One can hack a solution with BSD init, but it ends up implementing
subsets of SYSV init.  Why not go all the way and just do it?  If
SYSV init has serious problems (which it is indeed NOT perfect), then
implement either a better version, or start moving forward with an
existant version, and then move forward from there.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid