Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:27:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_strip for FreeBSD?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.32L2.0108142231200.92896-100000@shell-3.enteract.com> David Scheidt writes:
: :I was thinking about porting netbsd's if_strip driver (the driver for the
: :metricom ricochet radios--allows you to use these radios as nodes in a WLAN).
: :Before I do this, I thought I should first check to see if anyone else had
: :already ported it to FreeBSD...?
:
: Are these useful now that metricom has shut down?

Some versions of the metricom modems would allow point to point
communications when they weren't on the merticom net.  I don't know if
this driver is for one of these or not, but it might not be a bad
thing to do if so.  I'll be there will be a lot of cheap modems on the
market soon.  Sierra evidentally got stiffed for $10M in inventory of
these modems.  They should be appearing on the surplus market soon...

Wanrer