Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:16:12 +0100
From:      David Pick <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

> > > Yep, but it slows mail transfers down quite a bit.
> > >

> > > Nate
> >
> > Does sendmail retry when it gets a connection refused back?
>
> Yep, but having to do a retry for every incoming connection can be quite
> a slowdown when you receive *LOTS* of email.  Any FreeBSD user who has
> that on his box is slowing down delivery of email significantly, because
> the FreeBSD mailing lists tend to generate *lots* of email messages. :)

Sorry, I don't get this. If sendmail attempts to call the "auth" port
on the sending machine and gets a response it should be happy. If it
gets no response (after a time-out) it would be entitled to retry a
few times in case of packet loss. *But* if it gets a RST, which is a
positive rejection of the connection attempt, it can deduce that there
is *no* "auth" service on the remote machine, and that retrys are a
waste of time. Most clients (like "telnet") report this as "connection
refused" if it happens on the main connection channel. An ICMP response
might well be a transient condition, but a RST isn't. Unless sendmail
takes the view that *any* error *might* be a transient condition and
a retry or two worthwhile.

--
	David Pick