Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:04:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu (William Wong)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems...

> Does the NFS in FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 work with IBM RS/6000 machines running AIX 3.2?

Yes.

> Does it work with an Intel box running ESIX System V release 3.2 ?  Whenever I
> mount the hard disks on those machines, NFS chokes when the FreeBSD box tries
> to write to the mounted filesystems as root.  I'm using the FreeBSD box as a
> mail server and mounting the /var directory because the hard disk is small
> (130 Megs).

Root is changed to id -2 by the server unless you explicitly allow remote
root access to the exported FS.

This is done because I can be root on my personal box and read/destroy
anyone's files I want if root access by me is allowed.

> Btw, are ESDI drives being supported on FreeBSD 2.0.ish versions?

They are (effectively) wd drives.

> I can get the 1.1.5.1 version to install with no problems, but the
> 2.0.ish versions would just refuse to install.  I'm using the same
> geometry with the 2.0.ish versions as with the 1.1.5.1 version.

No you aren't.  The geometry is translated on you if the drive is
over 1023 cylinders, whether you want it to be or not.  The translation
isn't the same as if you were using, for instance, a WD1007 controller
and had translation turned on.

Typically in these cases, you must use the entire drive for BSD.

Alternately, you can fix the slice code and it will work.

To use a WD1007, you must not be using sector sparing and you must not
be using BIOS translation.  These are J8 and J14 -- but of course, you
will need the format utility from ftp.wdc.com, since changing these
jumpers will require a low level format for each change.

> Any answers or comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

Best bet: use the whole disk for BSD or use none of it, or fix the
slice code and the fdisk.

In theory, the boot code should examine the DOS partition/extended
partition tables and hack in the absolute sector offset.  Some fdisks
won't set these correctly.  If the boot code does before it goes
protected mode, then the geometry won't matter because the C/H/S
values can be ignored (with the exception of OnTrack 6.x or similar
MBR/INT 13 TSR replacement mechanisms).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---