Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:03:20 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?

On 07/04/2012 14:55, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 06:39 AM 7/3/2012, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
>> I'm willing to import and maintain unbound (BSD-licensed validating,
>> recursive, and caching DNS resolver) if you remove BIND.
>
> I've been using djb, and -- despite its quirks -- I'm very happy with
> it.

Completely aside from its "quirks," djbdns is wholly unsuitable in the
modern DNS world due to it's poor and/or total lack of support for IDNs
and DNSSEC.

> I'd like to have the option of installing dnscache, with the
> so-called "Jumbo" patch, as the default resolver.

As soon as you start talking about "with/without $option" you are
talking about a ports install, which is perfectly fine.

Other than that, if whoever actually pushes all the rocks uphill to make
the installer more modular in this regard decides to include djbdns,
more power to them. :)

Doug