Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:35:37 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: GIMP

On 27-Sep-98 rick hamell wrote:

>       Can any one tell me why GIMP loads fine under XFree86, but then
> as it's supposed to bring up the tool bar, it just kinda does nothing.
> If
> I su to root, it loads fine. I've checked the manual and that dosen't
> give any clues. My permissions look ok from what I can tell.

Permissions problems.

Easiest way to fix. Pkg_delete Gimp.
Login as root
umask 027 (see note on that below)
Install again

Note: I use umask 027 because at home, since I am the only user, I have
made myself member of all the major groups (bin, operator, etc....). This
way I only give rights to the owner and groups. If you have many users on
that system them and you want them to have acces then 022 may be more
appropiate.

I also don't recommend you set that umask permanently if you have many
users on that system. I know it is a drag to have to umask before you
install every package, but if this system is used by many people it would
be a security risk to allow an umask of 022 (there may be files with
passwords in them).