Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:02:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      thomas.pornin@ens.fr
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   alpha/27933: Time jitter under load on FreeBSD 4.3 alpha

>Number:         27933
>Category:       alpha
>Synopsis:       Time jitter under load on FreeBSD 4.3 alpha
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

The machine is an AXPpci (NoName) board, with a 166 MHz 21066 Alpha cpu,
32 MB of ram, 256 KB of cache. Disks are scsi, using the onboard 53c810
controller; driver is ncr.

Under high load, the clock drifts: it slows down. It looses about
20 minutes during a complete "make buildworld" (which takes about 22
hours on that machine).

I installed ntpd; when the machine is idle, everything is fine, but
when there is some load (cpu, disk, memory, I do not know which one is
relevant), ntpd issues messages such as "time reset -1.319533 s" every
20 minutes or so.

(I actually observed that effect with FreeBSD 4.0 to 4.2 on a Multia,
which is supposed to be similar to the AXPpci board)

>How-To-Repeat:

Deactivate ntpd, setup date and clock, perform a make buildworld, type
"date" afterwards, observe the date shift.

>Fix:

None included. I can perform a bit of testing, just ask.