Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:10:11 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Jason Burgess" <jb@fbfguns.com>, <Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matthew Weymar <weymar@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject:   Re: How much RAM is needed for FreeBSD

On Saturday 05 April 2003 01:48 pm, Jason Burgess wrote:
please don't top post
> [...]

that's outdated information for older releases.  see the FAQ
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html
I think that information that all will run in 4MB is out of date now too.
I'd be surprised if 5.0 could boot in 4MB in a useful form, even after a
custom kernel was built.

> I've never had any luck below 8MB.
>
> 	Jason Burgess

The only documentation on this that I see is in the FAQ.  The FAQ only refers
to 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x anyway.  I'm not sure what the doc project has in mind
for 5.x documentation.   I received another email that said he was not able
to install 5.0 in less than 20 MB, so there's a data point.

Anyone want to take this up with doc@freebsd.org?  It seems this is a FAQ, but
would be well to place the minimum memory requirements in the install
instructions since no one reads the FAQ it seems.

Tim