Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:50:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeffrey Sick <jeff@buffnet.net>
To:        freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   install problem

Sorry if this a dupe, I could never find a response the first time
around, I may have posted that one or this one to the wrong place.

Hi there, I just received the FreeBSD 2.0 CD from Walnut
Creek and I ran into a snag already.

First a plus (you probably know already) Hardware compatibility
does not mention the Adaptec 1510 SCSI Adapter, but when I
booted with the floppy the devices on the card were correctly
identified.

Here's my problem, I can't get past the boot-up sequence from
the disk made when I made the BOOT Disk and the CPIO Disk (the
batch file is written wrong for creating the disks <g>). The boot
up goes through all the hardware indentifying everything it can
find and then comes to a point where it says:

wd1: changing size of 'd' partition from 819520 to 820352

and then hangs. Or.. does this take an extremely long time? I
let it go for an hour on one try before giving up. 'D' drive
was empty at the time, freshly fdisked and formated. I also
tried running it with no partitions on that drive in which
case it would say that it was changing the partition from 1
to 820352.

Here's my hardware:

Intel 486 DX 50 (not DX2) with 8 megs RAM
VLB Stealth 24 Video
DFI VLB Controller with:
3.5, 5.25 floppies
C Drive, Western Digi  540 drive (set up as 528,
	I wasn't going to play with drivers to get 12 megs)
D Drive, Maxtor 420 Drive
Adaptec 1510 SCSI2 Controller with:
Mountain Filesafe 1200+
Micropolis 640 meg drive (big ol' ugly monster that
	you can fry an egg on)
Sound Blaster 16 Multi-CD
Mitsumi CD-ROM (soon to be back on it's own card again)

Do you have any suggestions as to why it was trying to change
a partition without asking? Any way I can get around it? I'll
probably run into other problems down the road but I'd like
to at least get started. Or did I do something wrong already.
(Look into that crystal ball) . I'll send any info if you want
it, I know what it's like to do support, I'm the IS Network
Tech here at AirSep.

Jeff