Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ivan <Ivan.Djelic@prism.uvsq.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of swap handling and X lockups in 3.2R

:where SIZE was 4 MB in this case. I ran it on the console (I've got 64 MB
:of RAM and 128 MB of swap) until the swap pager went out of space and
:my huge process was eventually killed as expected. Fine. But when I ran
:it under X Window, the system eventually killed the X server (SIZE ~20 MB,
:RES ~14 MB -- the biggest RES size) instead of my big process (SIZE ~100
:MB, RES 0K).
:
:My question is: Why was the X server killed ? Was it because the 'biggest'
:process is the one with the biggest resident memory size ?
:And if so, why not take into account the total size of processes ?

    The algorithm is pretty dumb.  In fact, it would not be too difficult
    to actually calculate the amount of swap being used by a process and
    add that to the RSS when figuring out who to kill.

:This leads me to another (not related to swap) question:
:
:When the X server is killed, the machine simply hangs without any
:reaction to Ctrl-Alt-F1 or even Ctrl-Alt-Del. Is that the normal
:behaviour ? (I think it should get the user back to the console ?!)
:Is there any workaround ?
:
:TIA,
:
:Ivan

    The X server wasn't killed nicely, it couldn't take you out of the
    video mode.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>