Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:19:36 +1100
From:      Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>
To:        Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen@dynamicsolutions.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to a server over a GSM/GPRS network

Hi there,

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:24:57PM +0100, Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> Is there anyone on this list with some experience in setting up GSM or
> GPRS servers?

Kind of.. :)
I believe you're after someone that has configured servers to use GSM/GPRS,
not servers that provide GSM/GPRS service.

> Ideally, I would like administrators to be able to remotely log in via a
> modem to a system that has no connection to the outside world, except
> for a GSM/GPRS terminal. It would be very nice if I could use GPRS speeds.

> Is this possible? What software and / or hardware would one need to
> allow people to dial-in to a system that is connected via a GSM phone
> terminal, with a GPRS module (such as the Siemens TC35, see
> http://www.siemens.com/page/1,3771,244357-1-999_2_0-0-ps_158_parps__pt_2,00.html).

Typically the 'hard' part is connecting the device to the computer.
The device you suggest appears to have serial connection but the specs
do not suggest GPRS capability.
Something that would do the job you're after would be:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/m2mpower/products/gt47_48.htm

You probably want to talk to your phone service provider to find out what
device they recommend for such application.

If you have a straight serial cable plugged into a com port (eg sio0)
then it should be fine to just treat the device as per a regular external
modem.  Ie you dial the GSM number and the box answers through getty or
mgetty etc and you connect, either terminal or ppp or whatever.

For GPRS it would be a little different as I'm not aware of any network
offering a "network to user" mode of operation.
Again the device will appear as a modem.
Ie your box would need to 'dial out' and get itself connected.
For GPRS I've done it before with serial connected devices/phones.
Just need to setup ppp with the correct usernames/passwords & dial string.
Then you're connected - you'll get an IP address from the network and
you should be able to treat the system like any other IP connected box.

If you setup ppp in dedicated mode it should reconnect if the link breaks.
It will depend on the GPRS service provider as to the details of the IP
side - eg whether you can get a static IP or dynamic public IP etc.

The big issue is what kind of device (or phone) you intend to use and
exactly what interface it has to the server.   Typical serial port and
you can use standard tools.  Anything else you might need a kit or something.

Hope that helps,

Tony