Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 08:33:00 -0500
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP and 56k

Greetings,
we previously were connected to our ISP with 33.6 modems.  This was using
userland PPP,
on 2.2.6.  We bought a new external US Robotics 56k external fax modem.
Connected and
used it ok.  We installed Freebsd 3.2 and configured 3.2 userland PPP with
the files from
2.2.6.   Our ISP upgraded to 56k modems.  Now, periodically the connection
will just hang
(no response from ping, but the lights on the modem show connection).  The
ppp log file
looks ok.  Sometimes after 10-15minutes it will come back from the hung
state.  Sometimes
you have to reboot (not just kill ppp and restart it).  Don't know what is
causing this, but I need
to get it back to a reliable state.  We have this FreeBSD box as our gateway
to the internet.
(ppp -auto -alias isp).

any ideas ?
thanks,