Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 1995 10:09:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@server.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Jan E Backlund <back0003@gold.tc.umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with lpt0 [third post]

On Thu, 8 Jun 1995, Jan E Backlund wrote:

> If I enter the command 'cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lpt0', I get the response
> "device busy".  Same thing after I kill the lpd daemon.  I recompiled the
> kernel after removing all of the extraneous device drivers, and still get
> the same "device busy" message.  The same hardware works fine under Linux
> and DOS.

	I am not so sure I see what the problem is. I just tried this on
my machine running 2.0.5-ALPHA and get the same results for your 'test',
yet have no problems printing with lpr. Unfortunately, I was far too far
away to turn on the printer, an lj4m. Are you saying that lpt0 acts as if
you printer is off-line all the time?

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| info at ftp.uu.net:/doc/lpf, print
       Programming Freedom               ->| "join.ps.Z" for an application