Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:51:22 -0500
From:      rahermon@iastate.edu
To:        <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Your earlier  maillog post

The short answer is no. The stateful rule structure and the implications
from mixing rule set types is beyond the scope of my knowledge, sorry.
However, it seems that a connection to localhost is being refused and I
assumed a rule is being match, finding that rule may revealed useful
information. Try clearing the counters and then try to telnet to
localhost 25. Look at the counters again and with a little luck the rule
will reveal itself. You can also try mixing the rules just to find out
if in fact the suggested change will fix the problem. If it does then I
am sure a firewall guru in this list will be able to assist in
re-writing the rules in the appropriate type. I will keep following the
thread since the questions you presented are indeed interesting and I am
curious to find the answer.

Regards,
Ramon