Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:19:53 +0900 (JST)
From:      nao <nao@tom-yam.or.jp>
To:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA HDD via FireWire failes.

Hi,

In message "Re: ATA HDD via FireWire failes."
    on 02/12/09, Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> writes:
>I suspect bad hardware.
>Can you chane the cable and the port on the host?
>And can you try with 'sysctl hw.firewire.sbp.max_speed=0'?
>(force to use S100.)
>
>> I tried several times to have got rather unstable results. Sometimes
>> the drive is not probed as follows:
>
>Bus probing is done with S100. In this case I have no idea except
>changing hardware...

I tried another FreeBSD-stable box and an IEEE1394 CD-RW drive to get
the same unstable results. Both boxes include ASUS TUSL2-C motherboard
and VIA VT6306 FireWire card (http://www.winbest.com.tw/5010.htm).

I also tried Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 card with this box and the
result was quite satisfactory.

So, the problem seems to do with VIA VT6306 FireWire controller. How
do you think of this idea?

-nao