Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:12:20 +0200
From:      Mihai =?UTF-8?B?RG9uyJt1?= <mihai.dontu@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Processor question

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:47:08 -0500 Mike Dockery wrote:
> Greetings,
>=20
> I have been a user of Linux since 1994, but most of the linux distros=20
> seem to be getting away from freedom... which is why I chose it in
> the first place.  They seem intent on forcing things that do not work
> well (like pulseaudio and nouveau) on everyone.  Freedom of choice is
> always best.
>=20

Far be it for me to stop you from adventuring into the FreeBSD world, I
encourage you actually. :-) However, note that you always had and will
have the freedom of choice. One Linux distribution might have chosen to
go the pulseaudio way (binary-only ones usually do), but FreeBSD
inspired ones, with ports-like features, offer you the choice to go
plain ALSA or even OSS (Crux, Gentoo etc.).

In what concerns nouveau, I'm afraid there's no running away from it.
Reverse engineering close source drivers for modern GPU-s is an
incredibly hard task. FreeBSD will likely get nouveau when KMS gets
finished (soon I hear?). Until then, the good old nVidia blob will do.

So instead of seeing FreeBSD as a place of retreat, see it as an
adventure! :-)

> My question is:  Should I try the amd64 version of FreeBSD with my
> Intel Core i7-2600 processor or should I use the i386?
>=20

Definitely amd64.

> I hope to give FreeBSD a try later this month.
>=20

--=20
Mihai Don=C8=9Bu