Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 23:32:15 -0800
From:      "Heredity Choice" <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, "Allen Landsidel" <all@biosys.net>, "Nick Slager" <nicks@albury.net.au>, "jadream" <jadream@chat.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FBSD & Itanium?

I attribute many of the shortcomings of the x86 family to its backward
compatibility with the Intel 4044. It has eight registers, compared with 64
on the Alpha. The architecture is in many ways much simpler on the Alpha.

Apples and oranges is a poor analogy for 32 bit versus 64 bit.  Nobody
prefers 32 bit unless it is cheaper. The Alpha is a relatively cheap
processor to manufacture. The Itanium never will be. Porting software to 64
bit can be painful, but 32 bit software can run on 64 bit hardware. The
Ultrasparc and the HP are 64 bit and much new software development is on a
64 bit platform even if it will later be ported to a 32 bit platform.

Despite its high performance, modest cost, and elegant architecture, the
Alpha has never sold well. Microway is alone marketing the low-end Alphas,
while Compaq now offers only high-end workstations and servers with the
Alpha processor.

FreeBSD Alpha does not have the maturity of FreeBSD Intel, but it is making
great progress because of a few enthusiasts who recognize its great
potential.

Meanwhile the Itanium, if it ever becomes reality, is an answer in search of
a question.

Paul Smith