Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 22:08:08 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Masafumi NAKANE <max@wide.ad.jp>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/run/<dir>

Sheldon Hearn writes:

>On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:44:23 +0900, Masafumi NAKAN wrote:
>
>> 5. The directory /var/run isn't proper place for this purpose in the
>> first place.
>
>I suppose /tmp is still out of the question since the last time I
>mentioned it? Is this being decided by hier(7) or by undocumented
>religious concerns?
>
>hier(7):
>     /tmp/   temporary files, usually a mfs(8) memory-based filesystem
>              (the contents of /tmp are usually NOT preserved across a
>              system re- boot)
>
>Regardless, it's evident that xemacs would benefit from an
>rc.d/xemacs.sh that puts its lockdir somewhere?
>
>Of course, the real solution is probably to hack up xemacs' naming
>system for its lock files so they can go wherever without running the
>risk of bumping into someone _else's_ lock files.
>
>2c.sheldonh

Max, where were you when this was discussed-to-death on the ports list ?
The general consensus (among those who were involved) seemed to be to
put the lock file under /var/run. I merely committed the PR ! _I_ don't
care where the lock file goes. Put it under /tmp, for all I care. Just
don't forget to change both xemacs and xemacs20.

The idea with a shell script won't work because the path to the lock
dir is compiled into the executable.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de