Date:      Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:08:04 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installing kde2.1 ended up with kde2.0??????

Duraid wrote:

> what do you mean?? please explain im really confused about the ports... if
> i downloaded the port (kde2.tar) from the freebsd website i still have to
> cvsup... what it i want to stay stable ( and that's what i want to)...
> explain explain explain ... please please please

Well, the kde-2.1 port depends on information in /usr/ports/x11/kde2
to do the builds and installs and if it is still setup up for 2.0, you
will get 2.0 installed. Somewhere on your system is a file called
ports-supfile. I have the original in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and a modified version from my
system in /root/cvsup. You need to run cvsup with ports-supfile as an
argument. Then cvsup will upgrade your kde2 port from 2.0 to 2.1.
Unfortunately, this probably means 2 more days of compiling. The
system I found some of this on could build qt-2.2.4, make and make
install of kde-2.1 in 3 hours. A simple mistake wasn't quite so time
consuming.

If you didn't upgrade your ports, you will also have to pkg_delete the
kde-2.0 stuff and, make clean, re-make, and make install the kde-2.1
stuff. One bright note is that one of the problem pieces has been
fixed while you were doing all of this.

The ports and docs are different pieces of FreeBSD and cvsuping one
doesn't get the other. If you are tracking -stable, it isn't as
important to keep the ports current. When a major feature such as
kde-2.1 comes a long, you then have to upgrade to your port system
before you can make use of it. There are articles of keeping current
in the handbook that show you how to use cvsup and all you have to do
is find a close cvsup mirror and add that to the server in the ports
file. This way you don't have to worry about the tag=RELENG_4 and
tag=. problem.

Kent