Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 19:16:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        schluntz@pinpt.com (Sean J. Schluntz)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, karl@Mcs.Net
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

> > I AM PART OF THE SOLUTION.
>
> > And yes, I WILL submit a pr on this as soon as I can find a few hours to
> > do the fix, verify it, and make world to test.  At the same time I post
> > it to the committers I'll post it publically, and 24 hours later I post
> > the exploit which takes advantage of the problem.
>
> This is being part of the solution?  Telling the world how to hack the systems
> of people who don't watch the lists or don't have enough time to patch a
> network of systems?
>
> 24 hours is not enough time for people to get the patch implemented.  You
> would be personally sentencing people and their business to death by doing
> this.
>
> Would you like it if you were sick for two days and came back to find your
> network toast because someone pulled a stunt like that?
>
> -Sean
> Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>

Uh, excuse me, but the EXPLOIT has been in ACTIVE use for *TWO MONTHS* now.

Its *NOT* new.  It is being *ACTIVELY* used by the hacker contingent.
Therefore, hiding *ANYTHING* at this point serves no purpose.

How can I possibly "hurt" things at this point...

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 773 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal