Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:53:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas)
Cc:        sec@42.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

As I recall, Michael Lucas wrote:
>> That's bad.  I was aware that the CVS tree was kicked off (and i can
>> live with that, as long as the release-source keeps beeing included.)
>>
>> But loosing the distfiles is just plain bad.  This saved me so much
>> download time.  I hope they will be back on one of the next releases.
>>

> Many of us would like to see them back, I'm sure.
>
> The majority of users use packages, however.  Unlike FreeBSD itself
> the CDs are a commercial product, and have to pander to the tastes of
> the masses.

I can't speak for the masses.  But I use the ports/distfiles
exclusively.

For the same reason I like the fact that I've got the source to the
operating system, and I have the source to all the user-land
commands, I want the source to added packages.

Call me anal, but I like the fact that there is not a single binary
on this machine that I didn't build on this machine.

> Perhaps you, I, and others like us, need to unsub from the vanilla
> FreeBSD subscription, and pick up a Toolkit subscription?  It'll cost
> more, but we'll get more.

That's worth a thought.  I bought a Toolkit about a year ago (as
part of a PowerPak, actually).  Is there a clear statement of what
is and what will be in future Toolkit releases?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net