Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 05:39:37 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, nadav@barcode.co.il, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache won't do CGI

> > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi: Can't open
> > > /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi
> > > [Sun Oct 20 17:51:18 1996] access to /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test-cgi
> > > failed for scully.barcode.co.il, reason: Premature end of script headers
>
> > Perhaps there is some problem with your CGI script crashing before it
> > finishes.  Apache picks this up and returns the error.
>
> The problem seems to be that it is a script (not a binary). If I use a
> binary (i.e. a compiled C program) for the script it runs fine, but
> FreeBSD seems to have trouble with inrterpreted scripts. Even if I run a
> C program that exec's a shell (or perl) script, the script simply won't
> start. It seems as if when the interpreter (sh/perl, etc.) gets started
> it can't find the script it's supposed to run. This really puzzles me.
> It looks as if Apache does something to break execve/execle, at least as
> far as interpreted scripts go.
>
> > > Already tried reinstalling, copying the conf directory from the working
> > > machine, fiddling with security settings etc., to no avail.
>
> > Did you check permissions on the script and other files?
>
> Yes. Also, using a compiled program works. See above.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've already spent a few nights on
> that :-(

I just set up an internal Web server at work using FreeBSD 2.1.5 and
apache-1.1.1.  That same CGI test script worked just fine when I tried
it from within a form.  One thing that did screw me up for a while with
some other scripts was a mis-type in "Content-type text/plain".  I forgot
the "-" in Content-type.

Is the script executable?

What happens when you say "perl test-cgi" (it is a perl script, right?)
from the command line.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org