Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 14:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Heather <star@starshine.org>
To:        Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Cc:        Chris <screechco@home.com>, lnx-bbc@linuxcare.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie questions on the BBC

> >1) Is there a place where I can find an archive of this mailing list?
> >Linuxcare doesn't mention one, at least not anywhere I've looked...
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/current/freebsd-newbies.html

Answering the wrong question:
  Er, I have no idea how freebsd-newbies got involved here - since the
  Linuxcare Bootable Business Card (LBBC) is a *linux* cd image, sized
  approx 40 Mb...

  Asking one, though:
  Although, if anyone knows of a minidisc image for freeBSD I am interested
  in getting ahold of it.  Not PicoBSD either.  That thing drove me nuts when
  when I needed to use it - and I ended up using another OS to rescue my
  BSD box :(  A real itty-bitty copy of something that can use normal freeBSD
  binaries.

Answering the right question:
  I've been keeping a personal copy of the lbbc list in mbox format, but I
  don't know if I missed a few before I joined it.  As far as I know it's not
  archived anywhere on the open web - but it'd be a good idea for Linuxcare
  to do so, if the list members are okay with it.  This has been asked
  before, after all...

  Even though I have the ability, I haven't opened up an archive of it myself,
  because I really don't think private mailing lists should be made public
  to the open web without some sort of warning.

> >2) Has anyone here successfully built the BBC from source? I'd like to
>>    add a whole bunch of stuff to it, especially given the fact that I'm
>>    just burning it onto a normal sized CD-R. Upon downloading the sources
>>    from Linuxcare, all I found was a few scripts that looked very
>>    site-dependent, and of course the sources for all the programs on
>>    the BBC.
>
> I don't have any experience with building a BBS but this may be a
> helpful link->http://www.bbbs.net/
>
> Joe

Answering the wrong question:
  BBS (bulletin board system) is no relation to the BBC, but I suppose that
  you could hack one together via the telnet feature on it.

Answering the right one:
  There is a sourceforge project dedicated to creating a normal-sized-CD
  distro based on the LBBC core - lubbock.sourceforge.net.  (try saying lbbc.
  ick.  LuBBoCk. Ah, much better :D ) That should be a lot more buildable,
  and you can join others interested in the same thing.

  There's an Irish Linux User Group that made some LBBC modifications for
  certain net services and ISP connectivity, which you might want to look at.
  But, I have to hunt my folder to find their URL, and they are still
  BBC-sized, so maybe you are not as interested in that.

  Heather Stern -*- star@           (personal)        -*- starshine.org
- Sr. Dev. Engr -*- Tuxtops, Inc. - Linux on Laptops! -*- tuxtops.com ----- -