Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:55:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      Simon Lai <sjlai@mac20.ct.monash.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Snapshot soon ?

Hi,

I am looking for a snapshot of current as it now stands.

The computer centre here at Monash Uni, is looking to run *a*
UNIX and X on their PC's and hence reduce the demand for workstations.
Their requirements are : netboot, swap to DOS file, X, nfs, support S3
video cards, run in 8 Mb RAM.  We have approx 5,000 pc's, of which
maybe 1500 will use this facility.

I've convinced them so far to stay with FreeBSD (and away from Linux,
though lots of Linux people are hammering on the door) but there seems
to be a problem with swapping to NFS with the current snapshot
kernel they have.  A panic occurs (sorry I can't provide more
detail, but I haven't actually seen the panic message).  This swapping
to NFS is just for the initial checking/configuring of the local hard disk.

If we could get a snapshot out fairly soon we could stop this Uni
moving to Linux.  Not being knowledgeable about how to get current
and make a kernel this is beyond my abilities ( I don't have a machine
spare anyhow).

A snapshot anyone ?

simon