Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:53:57 +0200
From:      Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3-RELEASE newbie question

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 04:45:40PM -0700, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> I've only been doing the CVSup thing for a short while.
>
> Now that 4.3-RELEASE is imminent, I'm wondering if this is more or
> less equivalent to the source tree on the date of the release - ie if
> I do a CVSup/make world of RELENG_4 on 4/20 when 4.3 comes out,
> am I in effect now running 4.3-RELEASE, and if not, what would the
> functional difference be?

Doing a RELENG_4 at *exactly* the right moment should get you
4.3-RELEASE. The tag RELENG_4_3_0_RELEASE gives you exactly 4.3-RELEASE,
which is probably what you want.

RELENG_4 turns into 4.3-STABLE right after 4.3 is released, and is no
other than 4.2-STABLE or 4.1-STABLE before that, only newer.

Greetz, Peter
--
dataloss networks
'/ignore-ance is bliss' - me