Date:      Thu, 4 May 2017 14:18:46 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg and packages

On Thu, 04 May 2017 08:09:47 -0400
scratch65535@att.net wrote:

> I can't imagine what code could possibly be in thunar and samba
> that the xfce desktop would need, particularly since the desktop
> is very simple, and also because I've never got samba
> functionality for free after installing xfce which if you're
> right I should have done.  But I'll check on that, and report
> back.

AFAIK samba isn't a dependency of XFCE. I don't have it and it's not in
the output of make all-depends-list.

Thunar is scarcely "unrelated", it's the XFCE integrated file manager.
XFCE uses the  libthunarx library if built with the Thunar option.

If you want something without integrated utilities you might be better
off with a window manager, like Fluxbox, rather than a desktop
environment.

It is possible to have XFCE without THUNAR from ports, or by building
custom packages.