Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:31:07 +0530
From:      Devdas Bhagat <devdas@worldgatein.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up a nameserver

On 27/02/02 13:06 -0500, Terry Dignon wrote:
> I have checked around, read the documentation, and even a few books
> (Freebsd Unleashed, Unix System Administrators Bible) but still cannot
> understand the setup of a nameserver or how to get it to interact with
> the rest of the network.  If someone could "lend me a hand" or point me
> towards a helpful site I would be eternally grateful.
Wrong list, redirecting to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Basically, a nameserver is a piece of software that implements DNS as
defined in its rfcs.
DNS == Name to ip address mapping.

I'll deal with BIND here because I know it better than I know djbdns
(which I don't know at all yet).

Bind has its primary config file, usually in /etc/named.conf

You will want to use the options:
directory "string";
the string is the location where bind will find its per zone files.
allow-recursion { your netblocks; };
allow-transfer { your.secondary.server.ips; };

Then you have the keyword "zone"
This tells bind what zone is being referred to.
zone "foobar.com" {
	type master;
	file "foobar.com.forward";
};
This tells bind that for stuff about foobar.com, we are the master
(primary) server. The details for foobar.com are in the file
foobar.com.forward (which will have an absolute path as
string/foobar.com./forward).

In this file, you need a SOA record (Statement Of Authority).
@	86400	IN	SOA	foobar.com	hostmaster.foobar.com (
	42
	28800
	14400
	36000
	86400
)

Generic domain TTL Record_class record_type zone zone_contact (dns
paramters)
@	TTL	IN	NS	ns1
ns1	TTL	IN	A	ip.add.re.ss

Similarly, you will have other records for Mail eXchangers, other hosts,
multiple names for the same host(CNAME).

This will be given in the ORA, DNS and BIND book (the cricket book, 3rd
edition).

To use the DNS servers, just have systems using these servers as DNS
servers (/etc/resolv.conf for unix systems).

Devdas Bhagat