Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:24:38 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plan to incorporate chapter 2 of the 4.4BSD book

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 02:29:54PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> Right, we have go-ahead from Addison-Wesley to incorporate the chapter
> into our www distro, provided that mirrors do not mess with the blurb
> that describes that the text is "excerpted with permission".  Also, this
> is with the understanding that the www distro is _not_ distributed on
> CDROM.
>
> The original idea of incorporating this into the Handbook is obviously
> not appropriate, since the handbook is dsitrbuted on CDROM.

Hmm.  My first instinct is to say "make it a port", with the port Makefile
including the NO_CDROM variable (or whatever it's called).  We don't really
have the infrastructure to support selectively including docs in the doc/
tree from "make release", or (worse) selectively including content from
the Handbook when doing "make release".

I mean, we could do it, but it's a kludge.  I'd rather try and work with
A-W and try and make them see sense.  Of course, you've been doing the leg
work on this so far, and if they're not willing to do it now, I assume
you've already tried convincing them.

> Addison-Wesley would like a list of our .freebsd.org www mirrors.  Where
> can I find such a thing? :-)

The most accurate list is probably going to be in the DNS.  That said,
there are probably many other unofficial mirrors that we don't know
about.

One more thing.  This is probably going to be the sort of content that'll
fit right in to the Developer Handbook that I'm building right now.