Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 10:02:02 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Gavin Cameron <gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone using a CONNER CTT8000-S tape drive

Gavin Cameron wrote:

> /var/log/messages
>  st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>  st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>  st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>  st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>  st0: bad request, must be between 0 and 0
>  st0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB

The drive doesn't like one of hte fields in a copmmand we are
sending it..

you need to compile ht e kernel with SCSIDEBUG

and then use scsi -d 7 -f /dev/st0.ctl
to turn switch it on on that device.
then try again
you should see what commands to the drive are causing this.

you could post the results (visible in dmesg)
to  freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
if you need help on this.

there might also be a 'quirk' for a related drive
that already fixes this..
theck the 'quirks' table for CONNOR tabe drive entries.
(in scsiconf.c from memory)