Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:41:23 +1100 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        shaun@shamz.net (Shaun Jurrens)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering software

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:42:27 +0100 Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net> wrote:
| #>Hi,
| #>
| #>Unfortunately the searching I've done yields little or nothing, especially
| #>if you are talking high-availability-type clustering. Seems the linux
| #>people are the only ones doing any serious work on that - see
| #>www.linux-ha.org. You might find some links to, or actual software, you
| #>can use/port.
|
| 	Unfortunately this is not at all the case.  I don't know where you've
| done your searching, but it hasn't been very thorough.  Ronald Minnich
| (excuse any bad spelling) has been doing clustering with FreeBSD for _years_
| and has clusters of 64 and more (iirc) machines.  I'd appreciate if you did
| better research before you post such information to the lists.  It only
| serves to disinform those who search in the list archives.

I suspect the discussion here has diverged. Clearly Shaun and the first
respondant (who's name I can't see here - my apologies) are talking about
different sorts of clustering. The large clusters of 64 fairly clearly are
Beowulf style systems where a single task is broken down and sprayd across
many systems to gain processing advantage out of the parallelism of the
clustered systems.

But the question specifically asks about HA clustering (presumably something
like the commercial Vertias Cluster Services product we use on our Suns at
work). These systems typically have small numbers of systems running the
same software with a high speed interconnect to share state on. In the event
your main system fails, the clustered backup assumes the role invisibly.
That includes taking over IP addresses and having the same open connections,
with the same software running in the same state and so forth. (When we test
our VCS environments we routinely do so remotely with ssh and the shell we
do it from doesn't even see an interruption, although in practice we're
suddenly on completely different hardware).

So, I'd like to support the first respondants position. I am also not aware
of any HA clustering projects for FreeBSD, which as Shaun notes is not to
say that there aren't any out there.

On a final note, while I support Shaun's idea that the list should be kept
clean so that the archive forms a useful knowledge base, I'm not sure I can
support the sentiments that we must all be completely correct at all times.
The irony of Shaun's apparent misunderstanding of the question makes this
even more stark.

Have a good one guys,

Enno.