Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 22:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random disk read problems

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
:->> I'm getting random differences. I.e. - the diff of the md5 sums will
:->> turn up a file or two that are different. Running diff or cmp on them
:->> by hand - and they're the same. Likewise, running md5 on them by hand
:->> turns up correct sums.
:->Are any of the filesystems NFS, or some other weird (non-UFS) or
:->weirdly-mounted filesystem?

Most of them were UFS; one was a cd imaged on UFS mounted via vn.

:->It could be a bug, or it may in fact be that you have someone on board
:->trying to hide their tracks. Were there any obvious patterns in the
:->binaries which were showing up (e.g. all system binaries, etc)?

If it were those, I'd bevieve it.

	<mike